"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." Romans 12:12
Joseph's heart is as healthy as can be, but for a few weeks we haven't been sure of that.
A few weeks ago I took Joseph to his pediatrician's office because he had been limping around on his foot after banging into something, and I wanted to make sure everything was ok. His foot was fine, but
while we were there the doctor suprised me by commenting on his "little heart murmur."
I had never had a pediatrician mention that before, so it obviously immediately raised my concern.
We scheduled an appointment right away with a pediatric cardiologist, but had to wait about 3 weeks to be seen.
Our appointment was yesterday morning, and after a chest x-ray and ekg, we learned everything is just fine. There is a heart murmur, but it is the kind that is not concerning at all and he will probably outgrow it by his teen years.
The physician said Joseph is as healthy as can be, and we don't need to "do" anything.
We are rejoicing and praising God for the diagnoses of a healthy heart, but I am once again humbled by how much we take for granted in our life, and how it takes these "crises" to push us to our knees.
As an acquaintance on facebook recently posted,
"May God rescue us from the fancy of thinking we deserve healthy children."
I know that 90% of the time heart murmurs in children Joseph's age are nothing to be concerned about, but it was an immediate human response to jump to the worst.
We have learned that life and doctor's appointments don't always end with the "all healthy" diagnosis.
That first night after the doctor said "heart murmur" I knelt by Joseph's bed with my hand over his beating heart and prayed and cried and asked God that he would spare Joseph from any serious heart issues (reading that line sure makes me sound over dramatic!). However, I once again had to acknowledge and surrender to the knowledge that no matter what happened, God would still be good!
Joseph's heart has been in my prayers ever single night, and I have daily had to pray that God would strengthen me to face whatever He might bring into our life.
Isn't it amazing how so often we wait to pray about something until a "crisis" happens?
I know we are not guaranteed tomorrow, but we are celebrating the good news and enjoying what God has blessed us with TODAY.
After I got home from the doctors office and 2 other stops I realized that Joseph had on two right shoes and Benjamin had on two left.
Just send me the "has it all together mama" award of the year now! {grin}
Just send me the "has it all together mama" award of the year now! {grin}
4 comments:
I don't think you sound over dramatic at all. I know I would have done the same thing. I'm so glad to hear he's okay. And too funny about the shoes!!
PTL! There are SO many very ill children that I hear about. I dont know if there are more than there used to be or if its the computer social networking, you just hear more about it. So thankful that Joseph is ok.
Your funny about the shoes :o) One day I was in a rush to get to a Drs appointment and one of my kids had on two completely different shoes... Yeah.
Deb, my heart jumped when I read your blog because I missed that along the way. I jumped because I know firsthand what that message sounds like to a mom. Colin was hours old when the told us - and then sent us to the pediatric cardiologist at two days old! You know the end of the story because he's led a normal life except for having to have antibiotics prior to dental cleanings ... many regular checkups until he was 18. So thankful for the way it turned out for Joseph! And I love the story of the shoes!!!!
Oh, wow, Debbie - I'm so glad he's okay!! You know, the same thing happened with Z when he turned 2 - a dr. heard a heart murmur & he had to have an EEG but it turned out it was perfectly normal, apparently his heart is nearer to the front of his chest than others or something?? I know, it's SO scary, though!!!
Post a Comment