"There is no such thing as gratitude unexpressed. If it is unexpressed, it is plain, old-fashioned ingratitude. " ~ Robert Brault
It is important to us that our boys learn to show gratitude.
Right now much of the "gratitude" they show is more "obedience to parents" but I hope we are instilling the habit while working on the heart.
Right now during the Christmas season is a time that many people take the opportunity to express in small ways their appreciation to those who in some way help your family.
Doug and I are so incredibly grateful to those who teach our children at our church. The boys are taught Biblical truths in a creative, loving, and fun environment. Benjamin's medical needs add another level of commitment for the teachers, but I have never heard a word of complaint.
So yesterday I had the boys "help" me make a little homemade Chex mix to give their Awana teachers. I understand that these little "token" gifts aren't nearly enough to truly show these teachers how much their ministry blesses us, but it is a very tangible way for me to teach my children.
While we worked it took the opportunity to talk with them about the importance of expressing thanks to those who help them. It was a fun way to spend time together too!
For any of their teachers reading this, they did have clean hands. {grin}
They took their jobs of sprinkling, stirring, and pouring very seriously.
And just keeping it real, this is what it looked like under the table . . .
They were so excited to share the treats. Although in the end their delivery was a little lacking.
I think instead of saying "Thank you & Merry Christmas" they just stayed quiet or said "This is for you" and Joseph kept giving ALL of the bags to just one teacher.
In the end I hope the boys understood in a small way the joy of giving and expressing thanks!
* * * * *
I also want to say a big THANK YOU to all of you who poured out your love and prayers for us yesterday. We are overwhelmed by how God has used His people to encourage us!
2 comments:
What a good idea! I always struggle with what to give the teachers and then all the sudden Christmas is here and I havent done anything!
I love this! Z helped me make his teachers gifts this year, too - we did a mix for one of those molten cakes that you make in a mug - and put it in a mug. :) Your boys are adorable as always & I love the real life picture of the floor. :)
Post a Comment