I have been so challenged recently in so many ways to soak up and enjoy the moments I am in right now. I want to be content and just absorb the specialness of THIS season. The last season was amazing, the future one will be special too, but right now I love who my boys are today!
When my son comes and asks "Mommy will you cuddle me?" I'm doing it for as long as he will let me.
When a boy brings me a book and asks "Mommy read?" dropping to the ground and reading every single book on the shelf.
When we giggle like crazy while "blowing" each other down to the ground, laughing until my belly hurts.
When we are kicking and throwing balls, doing it until it's to dark to see.
When we are holding little conversations about small things, making the conversation last as long as possible & using it to teach them something new. Or even better... something about my Jesus. (I love, love, love that I can do this with them now!)
When we are singing songs at the top of our lungs, taking out loud obnoxious instruments (can you say drums and wooden spoons!), to make it even more fun.
When the boys want me to run down the hill in front of our house with them, doing it over, and over, and over, until I am sure the neighbors think I am crazy.
All this means that the house is not quite as clean as it could be, and the clothes are piling up again, but I don't think in 10 years my boys or I will remember that!
Some pictures I took while we were absorbing some vitamin D outside yesterday. . .
The boys love to jump "together." They say "1,2,3," (and count it on their fingers), but their timing is always off. {grin}
Joseph climbed on the walk and said "Mommy, will you take my picture with the soccer ball?" so I happily did.
It's a sick house here today. Benjamin has had a cough all week and is finally getting better, but Joseph started in yesterday. I was up with my feverish boy a good portion of the night & I can still feel his warmth on my lap as he sits here this morning. I can feel the cold starting in my chest too. Not complaining, I know this sickness is only a season too, I'm just informing the Grandmas. {grin}
So. . . lots of books and cuddles and movies today!
Lord, please grant me the patience and strength I so desperately need to lovingly care for my family today!
Update: I wrote this at 7:00. It is now 9:15. Joseph's fever is gone, he ate a good breakfast, and he is now running around the kitchen table (literally!). Hopefully, that is it for the fever!




3 comments:
Loved your post! My Mother-in-law made me a cross-stitch of the last 4 lines of this little poem when my kids were little.
Babies Don’t Keep
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
Good reminder Debbi. Your a good mommy. We've got the fevers and colds here too.
Oh my word your boys are so cute!!! :) I need to remember this so much right now in this season! We took today 'off' of our planned preschool lesson to just read books & play & I felt so guilty, but really, Z is 3 - he's not going to remember that we skipped our robot craft or skipped sweeping the schoolroom floor this week. :) Great reminder!!! :)
Post a Comment