Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Nice Trip To The Park Mommy Failure


(Picture taken a few weeks ago. Today was much, much worse!)

Yesterday was a long day spent trapped inside our house while the rain came down outside. So I was determined to take my 3 active little toddlers (my 2 boys and another little boy I watch 2 days a week) outside for a while to burn off some energy.

At 9:30 I bundled them all up. It was 45 degrees and windy today so they all had coats & hats on. I also packed a small bag with what I thought were the "necessities." For us that is: 3 sippy cups, water bottle, diaper & wipes, glucose monitor & glucagon, cell phone, blanket, and apple slices. I recently read an article about mommies trying to travel "light" so as not to hinder your exploration & fun with your children (I have since decided that it was a bad article!) Everything & everyone was loaded into the wagon, and I pulled my 80 lbs of toddlers up a one mile hill to a lovely park near our home. The boys all squealed with delight at the sight of the park & joyful playing commenced! Sounds like perfection right?

I failed to think about what a day of rain does... MUD. The park itself is covered with wood chips and was only a little damp, but the surrounding area is "still under construction" so it was a muddy mess. However, all that work pulling & the dread of another day indoors, with no opportunity to burn of little boys energy, must have clouded my judgement. I decided to stay thinking my little angels would just play on the equipment & swings. After-all, that is what they all they did last time I took them to this park. I know, I know...I can hear all you experienced, good mommies laughing at me now!

About 15 minutes into our fun adventure (while I was, of course, changing a dirty diaper), Benjamin wanders out of the wood chips and finds a 2 inch puddle of muddy water. He steps into it, and, finding it to be cold and unpleasant, he turns quickly crying to find me and falls face first into the puddle. For those of you that have seen Anne Of Green Gables, it was very much like the scene where she is chasing the cow and falls into the mud. He looked just like Anne as he stood up, except he was bawling & and he is a little boy & he was not wearing a white dress (so I guess he looked a little different).

He was soaked and filthy & it was only 45 degrees and windy out. So, fellow mommies, what would you do? Do you leave on the muddy, wet clothes? Or do you take them off? Of course I didn't pack a change of clothing in my "necessities bag" because of that horrible article encouraging me to pack light.

I opted for half & half and pulled off the worst of it. Then I wrapped up his crying body in my jacket, loaded up the 3 little ones into the wagon, and began the walk home. Keep in mind it is a 3/4 mile walk back, pulling 80 lbs, with 1 half-clothed muddy and upset toddler, 2 unhappy toddlers whose playtime was cut short, and no coat for me. That was a very long walk! On the bright side it was downhill! At home I had the glorious task of stripping and washing muddy clothing, shoes, bag, wagon, etc.

Needless to say...today has also been a long day!
I know I will not be traveling "light" again for a long time. Back to the huge diaper bag going everywhere with me.

So today was one big "MOMMY FAIL" day. But as Anne Of Green Gables Liked to Say "Tomorrow is another day, with no mistakes in it yet!"

Is it bedtime yet? {grin}


8 comments:

Karen said...

Oh Debbi!!! There is one bright spot to this story... Ladies Retreat is tomorrow!!!! I too haven't had the greatest week! I think the timing of this retreat is perfect. Just think of the stories you'll be able to tell them about this someday!! You will laugh and laugh, maybe not today and maybe not even next week, but someday!! And you're not a bad mommy, it was just a bad day!!

une autre mère said...

Oh how terrible! I hope they all took good long naps for you this afternoon!

If it makes you feel any better, my 2 year old (who I keep mistaking as being potty-trained) peed all over herself and the floor at the library today. That was also a lot of fun. ;)

Ronette said...

Debbi, don't confuse surprises with failure. It just isn't possible to imagine every scenario. I give you lots of points for even trying to take three young boys to the park. I just chased one 22-month boy all over the park last week and can't comprehend why you would attempt it, except that you're a fabulous mother!

Christine Poole said...

I know what you mean about it helping to write about it. I had a horrible day today at school and it helped to kind of 'talk it out' with another teacher.

And, when you do, you often come to the conclusion that you did the best you could in the circumstances. Hopefully that will be what you find too.

We all have things come up as mothers that we don't anticipate. I too remember the debate between dragging a huge bag of stuff everywhere and packing light.

I think you handled the circumstances lovingly and self-sacrificially.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Christine Poole said...

You should check out this blog post http://togetherforgood.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/supermom/

I enjoyed it and it made me think.

The Sneaky Mommy said...

No "good" mom is laughing at you! Your story totally reminded me of those times when I'd be out with the boys and an incident would happen where I just literally felt frozen with panic, riveted with guilt, and overwhelmed with taking the next step! Eventually they make funny stories! :) Right now, they just give you many points toward an ooooober nice mother's day gift!

Mrs. Long said...

Oh, too bad this wasn't the day I drove to meet you! And oh, the memories it brings of many, many, many mommy failures that I did not handle with your grace! Thank you Lord, that You forgive and that toddlers don't remember!!!!

Mrs. Long said...

I forgot that this is tagged as "Don." That would be Dee!