Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Your Loveys

Security objects are very important in our home. At about 6 months the boys both attached to a special "lovey" that is oh so important to them.
.
For Benjamin it is his blankies. They were specially made for him by his Grandma. He has 10 or so (which I love because I can easily wash them when needed). He loves to collect several and hug them close. At night he gathers them up and lays on top of them to sleep. He also uses them to express anger...throwing them when he is mad.

Joseph has 2 lovey bears. They were given to the boys by friends of ours at the hospital when they were born. Joseph loves to hold the bear's hand or ear. When he is sleepy he will cover his face with it. He hugs it between his ear & shoulder to show how much he loves it & if you are a special person he may hold it up for you to hug as well (but you must give it back!).

Both boys know what there brother loves & if they find a blanket or lovey laying around the house they will take it to their brother.
.
The books say that attachment to objects peeks around 18-24 months & goes strong until around 36 months.
.
I love that you have something special. I love comforting you, but when I can't be there it is nice to know there is something to help you feel better.
.
I can guarantee that even once you grow past your attachment, your loveys will always be around, because mommy will keep them forever.


1 comment:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Hi there! I just popped over here from Karen's website -- I've seen you make comments on some of my favorite blogs and thought it was time for me to come check you out :)

My daughter Lily has a "lovey" -- a stuffed white dog that she has named "Cat" :)

Your family is beautiful!