Friday, November 16, 2012

A Habit Broken

It has been a month now. 
One month since we started encouraging Benjamin to abandon his thumb sucking habit.
I think I can officially say we have achieved success!



I am so proud of him.
He never put up a fight and was self motivated to do it.

Our approach was...
1.  Band-aid on the thumb.  We are still doing this, just to help him remember during deep sleep.  He asks me to put one on.
2.  The first week he worked toward earning a Batman toy by keeping the band-aid on morning, nap, afternoon, and night.   He got a sticker on a little chart for each successful time period and within 4 days had earned his toy.

Way to go, Benjamin!

(The last picture of me cuddling my "baby" with his thumb and blanket.)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Ya wanna come train my 8-year-old? :P

Carrie said...

Aw, this makes me want to cry - Natalie will be 3 next month and Joel wants to work on getting her to stop thumb-sucking, and I'm like, "aw, let her keep doing it longer!" so we'll see how it goes... :)