Monday, October 1, 2012

Watching You Play

One thing I love about watching Benjamin & Joseph is the difference in how they approach different learning/play/creative activities.

Today I pulled out this foam shape game that I got at a garage sale a while back.
(Hurray for inexpensive garage sale toys!) 



Benjamin's first thought was to turn them into fireworks and throw them all into the air all over the living room floor.  After some gentle instruction and clean up, he was ready to try placing the shapes on his cards.  He had trouble getting the shapes in place because his constant wiggling kept knocking them off the cards.   We finally completed one card successfully and then he was happy to just keep rotating the colored circle and creating an entire story about what time of day it was for each color circle and what the people on the boat were doing, etc....




Joseph didn't want to even try at first (he is always hesitant to do something he doesn't know he will be successful at).  I did one card with him and once he understood, he was off.  He completed three cards on his own with each piece being very carefully placed.  



It really is fun to watch them grow and develop in their own way!

3 comments:

Clarinda said...

I do just love how different each child is! We're about to have number 5 & yet I'm certain it will be completely different than any of the others. I know which one of mine has that same fear of failure and which one is captain destructo (that would throw them in the air & knock everyone's off their paper, etc) and which is the perfectionist, etc. :-) We have that same game too!

Mark and Laura said...

Love, love, love your shapes game. As a mom of a first grader I'm telling you that this activity will help them a ton once they are in first grade.

The Muns Family said...

do you know the name/brand of that shape game? I think Noah would really like it. Your boys are getting so big and so cute!