Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

Of every single word used to describe me, my favorite one is "Mommy."  

From the time I was able to walk, I was carrying around & pretending to take care of some sort of "baby." 

If you need any proof here I am at 20 months old in my Dad's arms with my baby . . .



I stopped this habit sometime around the age of 9ish, because it was no longer socially acceptable, but I looked for every opportunity to hold and care for any real baby I could (and to be honest, I still do that)!

If you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I immediately would reply, "A Mommy."

As many of you know, that dream of mine was not fulfilled as quickly as I would have planned.  My husband and I faced (and still do face) infertility, miscarriage, and all the heartache that has brought with it.  
 
It is amazing how one day can bring so much joy for some and so much sorrow and hurt for others.  I know this past weekend was so hard for many women;  those who want nothing more than to be a mommy, those who have lost their mothers,  those who have lost their children, and those who for whatever reason don't have their children in their arms.  I know the hurt is deep, and my thoughts and prayers were frequent through the day for you.

Looking back now I can see how God has used these deep hurts in my life to draw me to himself.  It has been in these heartaches that I have learned more about God's comforting presence, His unfailing love, and the promise of His sovereign goodness.

And I am still learning . . .


I now know the JOY of children & my heart just overflows with gratitude for them.
My boys are energetic, active, and wear me out every.single.day, and I wouldn't have it any other way!   I love this life I am living. Their little arms around my neck and their sweet little "I'll eat you up, I love you so" (do you know what book that is from?) words more than make up for the energy they take!

We spent Mother's Day worshiping with our church family.   In addition to the joy of attending church on mother's day as a mommy, I got a nap, the boys had a card and jewelry for me, and we stopped for ice cream on the way home from church in the evening.  

We also attempted a photo.  No "picture perfect" moments happened, but a whole lot of "real" moments instead.  {grin}





To my mom,  Thank you!  Thank you for the moments, hours, days, and years you devoted to caring for me!  You are amazing.


Y' know, it takes a Mother's love to appreciate the face on that baby!  {grin}

1 comment:

Julie said...

Such a good post. Being a mom makes me appreciate and love my mom more. Im so happy that you have your boys and do continue to pray for your whenever God brings you to mind.