Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Little Trip

Last weekend we enjoyed a quick trip to the Chicago area to visit family.  
I am so very grateful for the opportunity to be with my adorable niece, handsome nephews, and their parents (who are pretty great too).  
Our times together are made all the more precious because the distance makes them so infrequent.

Grandpa & Grandma R caravaned with the boys and me (Doug had to stay home and work).  My boys were awesome travelers.   We left on Saturday and returned on Tuesday.

Benjamin and Joseph ADORE their cousins!   They loved playing dollhouse, star wars, k-nex and many other fun things.

The giggles and laughter of my boys while they played with their cousins is a sound I will treasure in my memories for years to come!  Worth every minute of the 7 hour drive (each way).

I got to sit and enjoy coffee and conversation while they played.
(This is new territory for me. . . being able to let the kids go run and play while I sit!)

We attended church together.

We celebrated Christmas with the cousins by exchanging gifts.

I was so very glad that the lost rat was found and returned to his cage before we arrived. I don't like rats, but my son Benjamin loved them.

The bird "Stanley" laid an egg while we were there.  Exciting stuff!

I was able to enjoy seeing my talented nephew perform in the theater production of A Christmas Carol.  I love that Christmas story and it was a treat to watch.  Seeing my nephew perform in it was a cherry on top!   I could watch it again and again.


The above pictures makes me laugh because I don't think my 5 foot 4 inch self (when I stretch) has ever been the tallest person in a picture (admittedly, with the help of high-heels)!

We enjoyed a meal out at place called Sweet Tomatoes as one big group.   I thoroughly enjoyed a very yummy salad and the best cornbread I have ever eaten.  Benjamin entertained his Uncle & Aunt with the story of "The Little Engine That Could" (his little book obsession right now).

We visited my brother-in-law's workplace RBP, where the boys played with the VBS curriculum toys for this coming summer.  They now think their uncles' job is to play with bug and insect toys.  {grin}

I cuddled my neice & my boys were cuddled by their aunt & uncle.

So grateful for our time together!



1 comment:

Julie said...

What a fun trip! I LOVE watching cousins play together. Ahhh, families are just the best arent they? So glad that you got to go! Watching your nephew preform had to be a lot of fun. I LOVE Sweet Tomatoes. They have one out where my parents live. I havent eaten there in years. Mmmm!
PS I see family resembelance (sp) between your boys and nephews.