Monday, August 1, 2011

Tonight and Tomorrow

It's been a long, tiring day.  I think that is normal for mama of young children, right?

Bedtime arrives. 
Jammies on, blood sugar checked, yogurts eaten, teeth brushed, nebulizer treatment given, books read,  many trips are made to the potty,

   Then it's my favorite time of day. . .

The boys climb into their beds and I climb in next to Joseph to talk about our day/life, cuddle, and sing.

I talk to the boys about tomorrow being their birthday.  They are so excited about it!  I tell them that we are going to get ice cream.  Joseph wants the "rainbow/chocolate kind???"   Benjamin keeps attempting and failing to hold up only three fingers.  
 
Seriously, 3 years!!!  I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that 3 years ago I was feeling them kick around in my belly and dreaming about who they would be.  Boys?  Girls?  One of each?   Who would they look like?  What would they love?  
Now I know & am more deeply in love with them than I could ever imagine!

I cuddle in with Joseph.  Joseph likes to lay out flat, he doesn't want me to "get in the way" so I stay on my half {grin}, I stuff his pooh bear under my head for a pillow, and cover him up with a blanket.  He likes to be covered with a blanket even if it is hot.  Tonight it is his current favorite (the favorite changes weekly).  It is a brightly colored quilt with frogs and rainbow stripes.  He lays still and covers his eyes with his lovie.   He always want to sing "Jesus Loves the Little Ones Like Me" and then "Jesus Loves The Little Children"  after that I get to choose.   I love to sing hymns.   After a few songs Joseph declares "Now it's Benjamin's turn."  I hug him close and tell him how much I love him.  

I climb over into Benjamin's bed, grab his pooh bear for my head, and curl up.  Benjamin doesn't care how I lay he just squirms in close.   He is a squirmy child and is all over the place as I do my best to cuddle and love on him before he goes to sleep.  So many cuddle blankets fill his bed and it is important that I not lay on any of them.  He grabs my hand to give it kisses.  Benjamin is happy with many songs, but sometimes asks for "Jesus Loves Me,"  "One, Two, Three," or "Away In A Manger."  Benjamin sings with me (I love that!).   I hug him close and tell him I love him.  The thumb goes in and his finger finds the little hole in the edge of his blanket.

"Good night boys, Mommy loves you so much!"   

As I  head out the door Joseph asks,"Tomorrow is my birthday, Mommy?  And I will be three, and I will get balloons and ice cream?  And lots of people will sing happy birthday?"  
(I never said anything about balloons, but I think he is expressing a wish I just might try to make come true!)

Boys, tomorrow you will be THREE!!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ben and Joe!

Julie said...

That was a sweet post, it made me smile :o) Happy birthday to your THREE YEAR OLDS!

Carrie said...

Oh, my, I love this post - I love that you lay down & cuddle & chat with them each night - so fun! :)