Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Panda From the Pet Store

I don't buy toys/etc for the boys when we go shopping for many reasons:
They for sure don't need any of it.
Garage sales have an over abundance of very inexpensive, gently used toys.
I don't want my boys to have an expectation that every time we go somewhere they get something.

However, just recently I became a softy.

I took my boys and one of our little friends to the pet store today.
(No, we don't have & are not considering getting a pet. They just like to go visit the animals for fun!)

There was a sale on the pet stuffed animals.  
(You know - the ones you purchase for your pet to destroy chew on cuddle.)

Joseph saw the Panda Bear.  
He grabbed it off the shelf while excitedly exclaiming "Kung-Fu Panda!"
He tucked it under his arm and had a huge smile of happiness plastered on his face.
"I want to take him home, Mommy."   
In all the times we have looked at toys at many stores, he has never asked that.

Have I mentioned that recently he has developed a little obsession with panda bears.  
No idea why???

I knew there would be gigantic tears if I made him put it back.
I could tell he really wanted it.

So I did the unthinkable and paid for a dog chew toy for my son.
{sigh}  How did he sucker me in?

He loves it.


He told me that he isn't going to call this bear "Kung-Fu Panda." 
He is going to call it "The Panda Bear."
(Don't you love the stuff they say when they are three?!)


He carried it home with a huge grin, just looking at it the entire drive.
He has it sit by his chair while he eats.  
He cuddles it in bed.

Maybe this one time it was ok that I gave in and spent the $4.49?!?

Have you every purchased something for your child not because they needed it, and even though you know it is a complete waste of money, just because you know how happy it will make them?

3 comments:

Julie said...

Yep I have. Kendra broke her beloved Astro Boy so I bought her one online for way more than 4.49! But she has loved it and played with it, and slept with it etc etc etc, by far her favorite toy.

Clarinda said...

You go girl! I think that's awesome. I should try doing it more often. You're such an encouragement to me...how you just savor your children!

Carrie said...

Oh, yes. Not very often, but occasionally. :) I remember one time when I had to get a flu shot (I think I was pregnant with Natalie?), Z saw a little puppy on the RiteAid shelf on our way out & said, 'OH, puppy!' and so I bought it for him & he loved it & talked to it & slept with it for a long time. Almost 2 yrs later, it is still a good memory for me when I see the puppy - even if Z doesn't remember. :)