Thursday, July 14, 2011

Our First Tomato of the Summer

(Sorry in advance to those who have seen this on facebook already!)  

We are growing tomatoes this summer.  

I love seeing my wide-eyed boys enjoy the miracle of a seed or a plant producing food.

I love attempting to explain how plants grow.

I love getting to tell them about The Creator and how He created food to nourish our bodies & how He sends the rain and sun to help the food grow.

We have been watching the tiny green tomato balls grow for several weeks.
We also have been talking, and talking, and talking about how we can't pick them until they are big and red.

Finally, yesterday. . .


We HARVESTED!!!  
(Just one, but we get excited about the little things around here!)


My boys (small and big ones!) are good about eating vegetables, and most are eaten happily, but tomatoes have to be "put into" things to be accepted.  

However, the boys were so excited about their tomatoes they wanted to try it right away.

Both boys took a gigantic bite of it & then gagged.
I think they were expecting an apple.  {grin}

So then I cut around the large bite marks in the tomato and put it in our scrambled eggs.
It was accepted and loved that way!

1 comment:

Julie said...

So sweet :o) My kids are seeing the produce of a garden this year (for the first time). Kendra has turned into a garden snob, she only likes strawberries from our garden, Walmart ones arent good.

Thank you for your comment on my blog. Ive really been having a hard time with that and you showed me that its not "shallow" to share with others the joys of my family life. Thanks :o)