Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Whole Lot of Green

Tonight I am sitting here looking through over 200 pictures that I took this weekend.  
Almost every single photo has green in it.

You see, yesterday we went with Doug's parents to the 100 year anniversary open house for the John Deere plant where Dad R. worked for over 30 years.  He worked primarily in the experimental department.   The plant specialized in the manufacture of hay and forage equipment.  
(Honestly, my husband had to tell me what to write in those sentences, because I know nothing about farm equipment or the development of it!  I was going to say "The experimenting of balers"  which apparently is not exactly correct.)

Back to the green photos...
There were so many green things.  Even the porta-potties 
(Which I did not photograph.  You're welcome!)

Many of the photos are pretty ambiguous me, but I know they hold great meaning for Dad R.
   They are of machinery that looks complicated and dangerous.   
Stuff like this...


However, there are a few pictures that tug on my heart.  Here is one I keep looking at.


I may not understand the "experimenting of balers" {grin}, but I understand the love of a grandpa and grandson, and the joy that little (and big) boys find in big green machines.

It was a joy to spend a day learning about and seeing what Dad R. did for so many years.  He worked hard to provide for his family and obviously took pride in the job he did.

We also all found great joy in the homemade ice cream, caramel corn, beef hot dogs . . . 
 (You get the idea!)

And now just a few more pictures from the day...
















2 comments:

IowaGal5 said...

The last picture made me get tears in my eyes. These pictures hold memories for me too. I remember going to these open-house celebrations at John Deere with my dad. I think there are even pictures of me and Doug on the pedal tractors. I am SO very glad you got to do this. I know it blessed Dad's heart and made it nearly burst with pride to have his TWIN grandsons at his side. I'm sad that we couldn't be there. But thanks for the GREEN pictures.

Julie said...

Every boy enjoys tractors, young and old :o) Looks like it was a fun day, so neat that the boys got to enjoy it with their Grandpa. Cute pictures BTW!