Anyone who has worked with, or parented, 2 1/2 year old children knows that one of the biggest character challenges you face with them (or at least with mine) is sharing.
Since I have 2 at this age all the time right now (and 3 many days) it is something I address over, and over, and over through the day.
I talk about it, I pray with them about it, I walk them through the correct way to speak to/act toward/share with their brother, and I discipline when it's needed.
I also praise, praise, praise when they do choose to share.
What a huge blessing it was to me to hear the following conversation between my boys . . .
Joseph, "Can I share with you brother?"
Benjamin, "Sure, you can share with me, brother."
Benjamin, "Sure, you can share with me, brother."
Joseph,"Thank you for sharing, brother."
Benjamin, "Your welcome, brother."
And then they shared for about 15 minutes.
Blew me away!
(This is the boys at the time this conversation took place. I wanted to remember the moment.
I do clothe them. This was first thing in the morning right after jammies came off.)
Now, I need to be clear that for this one positive interaction there are hundreds of other sinful ones. However, it blessed my heart to see that they are learning.
Something I am saying/doing is getting through!
How about you?
Any tips about teaching kindness/love/sharing with your 2 and 3 year old children?
Any positive moments when you were blessed to see them learning?!
4 comments:
Those moments are so encouraging as a mommy :o) Yay to your boys!
Nice! Love those 'rare' moments when they get it! :)
I was going to say that my kids are not very good at sharing - and so sometimes I'll ask Z to help Natalie with something (like she has this Barney computer that she can't open by herself but Z can), and when he reaches over to help her with it, she screams bloody murder and I find it hilarious. Probably because she's so used to him taking whatever she's playing with.... Also, I love how your boys call each other 'brother', that is Soooooo cute. :) Natalie calls Z "Bubba". :)
Yay! What a blessing - thanks for sharing it with us. :)
Post a Comment