Thursday, June 24, 2010

Weekly Wrap

Weather
Iowa is a crazy place sometimes! It has been raining a lot recently.


Our basement got water in it. It comes in through the window well, so my husband bought a cover for the window well. The cover has worked for the last two storms now (realize we have had several in one week!), so hopefully that is the solution.

Exciting News
My sister and her husband announced recently their plans to adopt one or two children from Ethiopia. I am SO EXCITED to be an aunt again! We will be praying for them like crazy the next year or two as they go through the mounds of paperwork, and the even harder waiting periods. You can follow their story on their blog HERE if you like! They are amazing at being an aunt & uncle. I know they will be amazing parents.




Growing...
We had the opportinity to have both boys weighed recently. Joseph came in at 26lb 6oz & Benjamin at 26lb 1oz. I think Joseph is about 1/2 in taller than Benjamin, but that is a guess. They out eat me & almost out eat Daddy! Favorite foods right now are...berries of all kinds (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries), pb&j (Joseph calls it jelly butter), sweet potato fries, and cereal. Oh, and Popsicles (any color)!


Diabetes
We had a 3 month check up for Benjamin. His doctor was pleased with how he is doing. We are so blessed to have a great endrocinologist office. Benjamin is spoiled to death when we are there!


Benjamin had his A1c Test. It is a test that measures his average glucouse numbers over the past 90 days. For a person without diabetes your A1c would be between 4-5.9. Benjamin's A1c was 8.4. When he was diagnosed with diabetes it was 10.5. If you look online that number would be considered high. However, Benjamin's doctor said that their goal for 2 year olds is 8.5 so Benjamin is within where they want to see him. For an adult with diabetes they would hope to have the A1c number closer to 6.


Benjamin is a happy, healthy boy. But being honest... some days I just HATE his diabetes. I hate that 4+ times a day I have to draw up medication & give Benjamin a shot. He has always been so good about it, but for some reason this week he has started crying/fussing when he sees me coming with the needle. I know he doesn't like it! Who would? I hate that this is forever for him. It makes me sad that we can't just swing by an ice cream store when the fancy stricks us, but instead have to plan it out, take insulin, know what the carb count is of the ice cream, and measure how much of it he eats.



However, God is still so good. Things could be so much worse. So I pray that God gives me the right attitude & that Benjamin will learn to give thanks for the blessing God has/will bring into his life & not focus on the hardships of diabetes.

I found this quote the other day. It was just what I needed.

God's trusting child may say in times of trouble:

First: He brought me here; it is by His will I am in this strait place: in that will I rest.
Next: He will keep me here in His love, and give me grace in this trial to behave as His child.
Then: He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me the lessons He intends me to learn, and working in me the grace He means to bestow.
Last: In His good time He can bring me out again - how and when He knows.

Say: I am here-
1. By God's appointment.
2. In His keeping.
3. Under His training.
4. For His time.

Andrew Murray (1828-1917)


Swim Suits...
I ordered 2 of them. They are cute. However, I way underestimated my size! Apparently size small means it is ment to be worn by a woman who weighs under 100 lbs! I ordered a small (I wear a small in most clothing items) and will need to go up to a large for these to fit. Just fair warning :)

Funny Things Our Kids Say...
Daddy - "Joseph, let me see the phone so I can lock it. I don't want you to call China."
Joseph - (as soon as he gets the phone back) "Hello China."




"Hold You" (when Joseph wants me to hold him)

Both boys at Bible story & song time point to their brother and say "You do it brother" when they want them to do the motions to a song.

Joseph..."(indistinguishable babble) brother no, no!" Yes. He is tattling now!


Summer
Love it! If it never, ever snows again I would not be sad!



The boys love it too. We have been spending lots of time outside in our kiddy pool (if it is not raining). When we are inside Joseph is at the door begging to put on his Thomas pool shoes so he can go back out. Benjamin is my fishy. He stays in the pool loving the feeling of moving around the water. Joseph is in and out, in and out, in and out.
.
My Back
I hurt it. Badly enough I spent a lot of the day yesterday laying on ice while reading to the boys & walking like I was 8 months pregnant with twins agian. I Saw the chiropracter. He said I will recover {grin}. However, there will be no running for at least a few days. Which disappoints me.

Homeschool Conference
I attended the Iowa Home-school Conference. My sister also attended. The main reason for going was to earn a credit toward renewing my teaching license. Some nice side benefits were...a day with my sister, a change of pace for a few days (the boys were with Daddy, and I still got cuddles in the evenings), and I was encouraged in my parenting. I finished my "homework" on Monday & need to get it in the mail now.

Fence
It is on its way up in our back yard {grin}

4 comments:

Nate and Pam said...

I enjoyed the two days with you too!!!! Love the "Hello China" comment {and the picture to go along with it!!!}.

IowaGal5 said...

Hello China, - ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!Like father, like son.
What COOL weather pics - so ominous, contrasted by the bluest blue ever!
Agree with Pam - that pic of Joe's "hello china" is framable.
Fence- this sounds weird: but it will bring you such freedom. When they get just a little older you can say, "go outside and play", open the door, let them out and get a few things done inside.
Miss you, Can't wait for our week together. I just wanna be together so bad.
Dawn

Clarinda said...

These things are so fun to hear about. I do so wish we lived close. But I did have to tell you that Dawson, my 3 year old STILL says " hold you" when he wants me to hold him.

Carrie said...

Oh, how sweet! Love to hear your updates! :) Your boys are so adorable - I love the funny things they say - Hello China is hilarious. :) What blessings! :)