On Suffering...
Almost two weeks ago (this Monday) I got one of those phone calls you hate. My sister-in-law, Dawn, was calling & I knew immediately by her voice that this wasn't just a call to chat. She told us that my nephew, Trent, was about to go in for emergency surgery. Trent has been a miracle child from the day he was born and spent months of the first year of his life in the hospital undergoing surgeries. It has been amazing to see God work in his life & he has had several year of good health and normal childhood. This surgery has been serious and there has been infection following the surgery. He is still in the hospital and in quite a lot of pain. We are so grateful for the comfort God has shown in their lives during this time! We also covet your prayers for Trent's healing. This picture is of Trent buried in sand during our vacation to Florida with them last summer. We can't wait to have this smiling, energetic, talented boy back!!!
On living with diabetes...
We have officially filled one large sharps container; 4+ shots a day x 5 months = 600 times I have subjected my baby to a poke. It is amazing how 2nd nature this has become for us & for Benjamin. He is (usually) so good about it!
On accomplishments...
My "baby" brother has graduated from college! I wish I could have been there to see it, but he & his wife will be here next week so that is almost as good.
We turned the boys' car seats forward facing last weekend! Here they are before the big change:
On flowers...I told Doug a few weeks ago that I wanted him to teach Benjamin & Joseph to give flowers to their mommy. Since then I have been the receiver of multiple dandelions {grin}. However, last weekend they brought me "real" flowers. Beautiful!
On garage sales...
My parents are here for a long visit. We are so excited to have them. Last night my mom, 2 sisters and I were able to attend a mother-daughter activity. We had never done that before & it was a special evening. We decorated cupcakes together and ate way too many chocolate goodies {grin}.
Lots of good finds the last 2 weeks. I won't bore you with the details of the 25 cent puzzle I found, or the $1 snow pants, or the many inexpensive books. However, I wanted to share my 2 biggest purchases... a $10 radio flyer bike for the boys (a little big now, but it will work next summer) and two matching toddler beds for $35 combined.
On food...
I have been reading about the benefits of cooking & using whole chickens so I purchased a whole chicken & plan to roast it. I have never done this before, so wish me luck! Then I would like to make some chicken stock from it. Has anyone done this before? I would love any advice you have!

4 comments:
It was so good to see you and your family last night! :)
Great garage sale finds:) You inspire me to go out to them more!!
On chicken stock. I buy whole chickens. Place them in my crock pot and cover them with water. You can add seasonings if you want to, but I usually don't. Cook for 8 hours or till done. You can use a meat thermometer if you're unsure. After it's done, take out the chicken, and strain the broth and you can use it for noodles, gravy or freeze for later to use as stock. Super cheap and love that nothing else is added!!! That's how I do it:)
...8 hours on low.
wow!! I am very impressed with your yard sale finds! I've been looking for a bike like that for my son. He also loves to pick "weeds" and bring them to me- but I'll take what I can get. Love the post. Your nephew is in our prayers.
Post a Comment