Friday, December 18, 2009

Weekly Wrap

First of all some Christmas sweetness...




I love seeing their relationship growing & developing. Many times they just ignore each other, or fight. However, other moments just melt my heart. Such as when they:

Give each other hugs

Find each other's loveys & bring them to each other

Cry because their brother is upset

Babble to & giggle at each other when they are supposed to be going to sleep

* * * * * * * * * *

Last weekend was so busy with wonderful things...Christmas coffee, baking, class party, teaching in children's worship time, Doug's trip to see a friend baptised. We were tired, but full of the joy that comes this time of year. Sunday night I had no clue that I was about to be given news that would drastically change our life.


Having Benjamin at the hospital on Monday night was possibly the most difficult thing I have ever gone through. Realizing your baby is very sick, not knowing anything about what his body is doing to him, holding him while his blood is drawn & he his hooked up to an iv (twice because the first line blew), and not being able to help him understand why all this is happening. HARD.


Here is a picture of what they pharmacist handed me on Tuesday afternoon. Can you say overwhelming???



Our week has been consumed by Benjamin & his needs. Diabetes is very controllable, but you have to LEARN how to control it. I am studying, learning, attempting to understand. I never before have been so aware of what & how much goes into my baby's mouth. I am in constant contact with his doctor & we are making constant adjustments to his medications. A week ago I had no clue what a pancreas did, what keytones are & why that matters, or what a "normal" blood sugar reading is. Now I do. Amazing what you can learn quickly when life demands it!


Many times this week I have looked at Benjamin & wondered (sometimes out loud) what his body is doing. Is his blood sugar to high? To low? Just right? Is he hungry? Is his body doing what it needs to in order to grow correctly? I am so comforted to know that, while I may never know completely what is going on in his body, that's okay because ultimately he is not mine, but the Lord's, and the Lord knows Benjamin fully.


Benjamin is doing such a great job handling his finger pokes & shots. We refer to both his shots & blood checks as pokes & we always tell him it is going to happen. He whimpers a little each time, but doesn't put up a fight. As soon as I have finished giving him a shot, or checking his blood sugar, I give him a hug & he is right back to playing or eating or whatever.


Joseph has decided he needs "pokes" to. Each time I am finished with Benjamin, Joseph comes over saying "poke, poke" and pointing to himself. So we pretend to give him a poke too. Silly boy. {grin}

So many blogs right now have gorgeous pictures & recipes of Christmas goodies. I haven't done much backing this year & I am missing it a little. Especially the fudge. Maybe I will try to make some fudge this next week! It can't really be Christmas if I don't get a little taste of fudge! {grin}

Today we have lots of miscellaneous "stuff" --- Christmas shopping, doctors appointment, cleaning, wrapping presents, studying for children's worship time tomorrow, and hopefully a little fun with Pam & Nathan (sister & her husband) tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to let you know I've been thinking a lot about you and your sweet boy as you adjust to his diagnosis. I hope you can get some baking done this week, and really enjoy your Christmas with your little ones. :)

Karen said...

Praying for you all Debbie as you learn through this situation!! You couldn't have said it more perfectly, God knows exactly what your little ones need... both of them!! The joys and challenges of parenting! Praying for God to give you wisdom in every situation! ((HUGS))