Monday, November 2, 2009

The Books You Love At 15 Months

Reading is perhaps the number one thing I dreamed of doing with my children before I had any. I have always LOVED ♥ books & even in these busy days of being a mommy to 2 toddlers, I still reserve a few minutes a day to enjoy a good book.
Knowing my love for books, you can imagine the joy it brings to my heart to see a love of books developing in my boys. Joseph will go choose a favorite book & bring it to me. He hands the book over and then turns around & starts backing up so he can sit in my lap.
I want to take some time today to document some of the boys current favorites. The ones they choose the most out of the many we own.
The New Bible in Pictures For Little Eyes - I am stretching a little to say this is a favorite right now, but I very much hope The Bible will be come a favorite for their entire lives. Each morning after they boys have finished eating, but while they are still sitting in their booster sets, we take minute to read a short Bible story.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See - This has been a favorite for quite a while. I think you like the simple, colorful artistry. You never let me finish the rhythm before turning the page so I usually end up just naming the color & the animal.

Touch & Feel Home (really all the Touch & Feel books) - Benjamin especially like this one. He loves to "pet" the kitten & lift the fabric curtain.

The Big Hungry Bear - This is a very cute story, but I don't think the boys really understand it??? However, it is always among their top picks. Maybe they like the bright red strawberry, or maybe it is the the sound effects I make for the bear?

The Tale Of Peter Rabbit - This is a Daddy book. Doug has a specially way of telling the story in his own words that Joseph just loves. I apparently don't "do it right" because Joseph gets frustrated when I try to read it to him! Joseph even tries to imitate the way Daddy says "No, no Peter."

Windows To Color - I think this is a beautiful book. It has classic art & uses it to teach colors. The boys love the fact that there are cut outs into the next page that they can stick their fingers through.

Where is Babies Belly Button? - This is probably the top pick for both boys (at least today it is!). The book asks questions about where different body parts are and then you lift a flap over a baby to find the part. They love lifting the flaps! Joseph has also learned a lot of the parts now. When you ask where are the babies feet?, he will lift up his own feet.

Baby Says Peek-a-Boo - This is a very loved book (as you can see by the corner in the picture above). The boys have enjoyed it since they were 2 months old when all they could do was just stare at the bright colors. Now they love to lift the flap and say "boo" with me as I say Peek-a-boo. Benjamin loves the mirror at the end where he can say "boo" to himself. He grabs the book, pulls it close to his face, and laughs at his own silly faces.

My Shimmery Books - This book has beautiful, colorful, bold pictures that "sparkle". It is designed to teach colors, number, opposites, animals, etc. They both just love it. They point at each item as I help them name it.

So there you have it. A few favorites around her. Some days these books are read over, and over, and over, and over, and over...you get the idea. I LOVE ♥ IT!!!

4 comments:

Christine Poole said...

What a fun post! I was going through the picture books the other day to pass down some of the 'easy reader' books that my kids have outgrown. (you know the ones with 3-10 words on a page) Here are a few favorite picture books that we had fond memories: RubADub Sub....I love you bunches!.....I love you stinky face....King BidGood's in the Bathtub....Mouse Learns His Colors...so many that brought very fond memories of them both sitting in my lap and reading. Now a days we are reading Little House on the Prairie, which is wonderful...but I miss the picture books too....we'll have to revist them.

Kate Hydorn said...

I too have fond memories of the boys' favorite books- or I should say Bradley's favorite books. He was the one who always wanted to be read to. Brennan avoided books for the most part. Peek a boo Baby, Corduroy's Day, and The Foot Book were a few favorites- oh for those days again!

Unknown said...

My son does the same thing Joseph does! He loves reading as well. Do you have any Sandra Boynton books? Those are great too!

Unknown said...

Books are wonderful; I hope reading is something the two of them never outgrow. Then they can join their aunt and uncles in spending hours at a time in bookstores and libraries like I just did. :)

Aunt Kristi