Thursday, August 27, 2009

"You" ME

Deuteronomy 6:4-12
4. Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!
5. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
6. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart.
7. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.
8. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be a frontlets between your eyes.
9. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
12. ...lest you forget the Lord.

*****
Have you ever noticed how much emphasis God puts on "you" in these verses?

The last few days I have been convicted by the NEED to be teaching Benjamin & Joseph about my Savior. I want to make Jesus a natural conversation in our home on a daily basis.

As you may have noticed in my last Wordless Wednesday my boys were born with a sin nature that is becoming more & more apparent. I am overwhelmed that I am the one who has been given the responsibility for training & teaching them!!! Mothering is "easy" when all you are doing is feeding, changing diapers & putting to sleep. Now...the challenge of training is beginning.

There are millions of books & web sights that have lots of tips & tricks for training obedient, well mannered children. However, their hearts and souls are what need to be changed.

The problem...ME! I am not yet what I should be. The above passage is so convicting because of the emphasis it places on ME needing to have Scripture in my heart, before I can teach it to my children. Yet, how quickly I allow other more urgent "needs"(cleaning, feeding, laundry, groceries, blogging, etc.) to take priority in my daily schedule. Scripture is clear I MUST make knowledge of God & His Word the #1 priority, and it must be ongoing (I can't rely on my 4 year of Bible college alone). I can't truly teach & guide my boys unless active/continous learning is occuring in my life.

Overwhelming & HARD!!!

3 comments:

Kate Hydorn said...

thanks for the great reminder- oh so true- I feel like I fall short all the time of my awesome responsibility concerning teaching my boys about the Lord.

IowaGal5 said...

Tears & sigh. The overwhelming task never stops. THe challenges change but the task is never complete.

IowaGal5 said...

One more thought as I have been working on writing a lesson on "obeying parents". Do you realize there is not a single CLEAR narrative story in the Bible that emphasizes an instance where a child obeyed his parent? THe best we can do is when David took the cheese and bread to his brothers on the battlefront because Jesse asked him to. The Bible didn't say that David argued or complained, so I guess we can say he obeyed willingly. Then if you really stretch, you can assume that Noah's sons obeyed him in the building of the ark - but it is not emphasized. So...I think parents, even super-saints, have struggled with this responsibility for thousands of years!I'm not sure this is overly comforting though.