Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Some Thoughts On Diapers

DIAPERS. I definitely couldn't live without them! Around here we go through around 12-14 diapers a day. I would love to reduce that #, but Joseph is especially good at waiting until I change a very wet diaper to drop a load into a nice clean dry one so that adds about 2 diapers a day.

We have settled on Luvs diapers for the moment. Cheap, but not so cheap they can't hold what they need to hold. At night we use Huggies because unfortunately, Luvs cannot do the necessary night job & I refuse to wash and change 2 sets of sheets more than once a week.

Usually I expect to pay about $.18 a diaper. So if you are crunching those numbers...
12 diapers a day x $.18 = $2.16 a day / $15.12 a week / $60.48 a month
YIPES!!! (Thank goodness breastmilk has been mostly free!)

So with those # in mind... I was very excited to discovery a deal at diapers.com. I had a coupon for $10 off, there was a sale, and if you ordered more that $50 worth there was no shipping charge. So I was able to get 360 diapers for $.12 a piece. That is a monthly savings of...$20.46. New shoes here I come! (Never mind, just got the water bill- ha,ha).

Yesterday my doorbell rang and I opened the door to receive our diapers for the month of May (and a very fun toy for my boys!). I have to wonder what the neighbors were thinking to see a box this size with the HUGE "diapers" label!
We are finishing our last box of size 3 diapers, and then on to size 4. Has anyone else noticed that as the sizes go up the # of diapers in a box goes down, but the price doesn't?

I kept a few of the itty bitty diapers from the first month. Here is a then & now picture. Makes me sad for how fast they are growing! And those diapers were to big at first!
Anyone out there have some ideas for more diapers savings? I would love to hear them!

Have a GREAT DAY!


1 comment:

IowaGal5 said...

No, Sorry - I think you have found the "mother load" when it comes to diapers (and yes, pun intended).
All moms have come across the irony of the # or diapers verses the size. Cruel joke huh?
Love the box. Have you tried tipping it over and cutting a "doorway" out of the end to make a "fort"? They would probably love it. Maybe a couple "windows" too.
I miss them soooooo much.
Love, Dawn