Thursday, March 26, 2009

Help Me Decide...

I am trying to decide... should my husband and I trade rooms with the boys?

Here is why...the boys are not mobile yet, but they are both rocking on their hands and knees & I am told crawling is very soon to follow this action. Everyone keeps saying, "just you wait till they get mobile" so I am SCARED now! I am thinking if we trade our larger room for the boys smaller room it would allow me to create a safe play area for them that I could gate off and know that if I need to get something done (laundry, cooking, BLOG (((smile))), ect.) they will be safe.

Pros...
Safe/enclosed play area for the boys
A place for all their stuff (not the living room!)

Cons...
Our beautiful bedroom set may not all fit in the small room
Smaller closet in the small room
Larger room is colder in the winter & warmer in the summer
I will need to paint the larger room (Doug is not OK with our boys sleeping in a purple room)

You experience mommies help me out!!!! Leave a comment please!
Is the benefit of having and enclosed/safe area to leave the boys worth the hassle of the move?

3 comments:

Kate Hydorn said...

I definitely agree that you need to have a SAFE place for them as they start to move. They can move fast, even when they're not officially crawling or walking and especially with two of them, you don't have enough eyes to watch them. Besides you'll never get anything done! I remember once (not to scare you, but inform you) that I merely went into the bathroom for a split second one day while Brennan was rolling around on the floor in my bedroom and he found the rubber stopper on a door jam and had that stuffed in his mouth when I came back. He could have easily choked on that. It scared the bejeebes out of me!They can find things you don't even know exist on the carpet and underneath things. For your own sanity, I would definitely create a safe enclosed "zone" for the boys!

Unknown said...

It seems like a lot of work for you to switch rooms, but I agree with the previous comment; a safe play area is very important. My son has also found the door stoppers and put them in his moulth. Another option for you is to baby proof the entire house- which is what we did. We put cabinet stoppers on all the kitchen & bathroom cabinets, outlet covers and put all of our valuables out of reach. I keep the bedroom doors closed and my son gets to explore the entire house. He does get bored in the playroom and likes to bring a toy in the room where I am. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Clarinda said...

I agree with the one that said just babyproof the whole house. They're not going to want to stay cooped up in one place. Plus you really probably won't use it as much as you may think. Great plans, but in real life after having 2 little ones very close in age (granted not twins, so it could be totally different), just train them what they can & can't tough, where they can & can't be. It makes life so much easier & they're happier being with you, but knowing their boundaries.
The family shouldn't revolve around the kids either, so you two should definitely have the bigger bedroom.
There's my 2 cents!