Friday, March 23, 2012

Walks, Dandelions, and A Shed

My boys have LOTS of energy.  


Because I prefer them not bouncing off the walls inside our home, whenever the weather allows, we are outside were they can run/climb/yell/jump/etc. to their hearts' content.  


One of the activities we enjoy is just walking through our neighborhood in the evening. 

They often hold hands while we walk, which just melts this mama's heart!   
I also love the little conversations they have with each other about what they are doing and their thoughts on the subject.   They love to tell their brother about something they have just learned or just done.
(Although, often their brother has just learned or done the exact same thing, so they already know!) 

Every walk seems to develop a unique theme that comes out through what we do or the topics of conversation.
The other night it was dead worms, birds eating worms, and dog poo.

The conversations can be really "fun."  {grin}

Last night the boys decided to pick every single dandelion they saw and stuff it in their pockets.
  

It was fun to see their excitement each time we walked a few steps and they saw yet another dandelion sprouting out of the ground.   It made for a slow walk, but lots of cute jumping and bouncing around.

When we got home they emptied their pockets on the porch.


Somewhere during the emptying, Joseph decided to name each of the dandelions.
The names were:  George Washington, Barack Obama, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, Richard Nixon, Grover Cleveland, William Howard Taft, Martin Van Buren . . . 
(You get the idea!)


Also on an unrelated note . . .

I was reminded this evening as we were walking about the importance of using simple, clear words when teaching the boys about the gospel.
While we were on our walk, Joseph saw a small building and asked what it was.  I told him it was a shed and he quickly responded, "Oh, that is where Jesus keeps his blood."

He is really asking a lot of questions about Jesus' death the last few weeks.  I can tell he doesn't "get it" yet, but his little mind is really trying to figure it out.

I am just loving these days with these boys!
Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Does he really know all the presidents names?! Thats really impressive! I love your explanation of the boys holding hands and their conversations, so cute :)

Sarah Hensley said...

I am LOVING hearing the adorable things your boys say! It's easy for me to imagine how they are thinking, since Madge is right about the same age. That would so fun to have TWO like you do, and hear the "fun" conversations between their little minds. I'm sure you and Doug get lots of laughs!!