"Moreover let us exult and triumph in our troubles and sufferings, knowing that pressure & affliction and hardship produce PATIENCE and UNSWERVING ENDURANCE..." - Romans 5:3
.
Life in the last 24 hours has changed drastically for Benjamin. He has be diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic.
Tonight I am sharing some details both for myself (because writing about it helps me process it) & for my family & friends to understand a little bit about what has happened & the changes that are taking place in Benjamin's life.
.
Let me say right way...this is long!
.
How did we find out?
.
Benjamin had a 16 month well baby check up on Monday morning (we are off one month). At that appointment we discovered his weight had gone down by 8oz since our visit 3 months ago. I also mentioned to Benjamin's doctor that he has been eating like a football lineman & drinking like a camel about to leave for a long trip. Those 2 issues combined, caused some small concern for the doctor, so he decided to do a blood test to check Benjamin's glucose levels. No immediate concerns, he assured me, we were just making sure to cover all basis. We finished the appointment & headed home.
.
Monday evening around 7:00 I received a phone call from the medical office stating his glucose levels were in the 600+ range & I needed to take him to the Mercy ER immediately for another blood test (at the time I didn't know it, but the normal range is 80-180 so 600 is very high).
We spent the evening at the Pediatric ER where they drew blood, tested urine, and gave fluids through iv. It was a rough 4 hours for Benjamin & mama.
.
At 11:00 when all the tests were completed, the doctors gave Benjamin a shot of insulin & allowed us to go home with the promise to be at a pediatric diabetic specialist 8:00 sharp on Tuesday morning. I asked the doctor directly before we left (because no one had directly told me) if it was diabetes and she said yes.
.
This morning we went to see the specialist (who combined with her office & staff is about to become our 2nd family). The doctor immediately confirmed that is was Type 1 Diabetes, that there was nothing we could have done to prevent it, that there is currently no cure, and that we would be spending the day learning to manage it so Benjamin can have a great life with it.
.
What does this mean for Benjamin right now?
.
There is currently no cure, so Benjamin & his doctors & mommy are going to work together to find the perfect amount of insulin he needs for controlling his glucose. His doctor says to expect it to take 4-6 weeks to find the "perfect" balance for him.
.
I will be pricking Benjamin's finger 8-10 times a day to check his blood sugar levels. Right now this includes waking him up at least once in the middle of the night.
.
Benjamin is able to eat all his normal meals. I then calculate the amount of carbohydrates he consumed and deliver a shot of insulin that will help his body process them. In addition he will get one daily shot right before bed. (So if you are counting that is 4 shots a day).
.
Snacking will change, because I do not want to have to give additional shots of insulin, the food Benjamin can eat for snacks needs to have little to no carbohydrates. I still have a lot to learn, but right now I think that means no cereal like snacks, but instead things like cheese & veggies.
.
The needle for his shots is small & thin & about 1/2 inch long. Right now Benjamin is more upset about me holding him tightly to prick his finger or give a shot that he is about he shot itself. He doctor said that about a month from now Benjamin will become so used to it that he will no longer put up a fight & it will become "normal" for him.
.
You wouldn't know Benjamin was suffering from this if you saw him. He is tired from the ordeal, but smiling & happy & playing like usual.
.
What about Joseph???
.
Joseph only has a 6% chance of getting Type 1 diabetes.
.
Joseph will be eating the same diet as Benjamin because it will keep life simpler & "more fair."
.
What is Type 1 Diabetes?
.
I have so very much to learn yet!!!
Here is a simple explanation from some experts...
The Juvenile Diabetic Research Foundation
.
How Am I???
.
Tired. Overwhelmed. Sad for my child.
.
BUT...
God is good ALL THE TIME!
.
I am so grateful for many family & friends who have been upholding us in prayer, encouraging us with their words, and providing Joseph with outstanding care while we focus on Benjamin's needs (thanks Jenn!).
.
God's timing was so perfect through this. Usually children get very, very ill and end up in ICU at the hospital before this is discovered. It was providential timing that the well baby visit came when it did & that the doctor was wise enough to order blood work.
.
The specialist's office has been amazing. They are kind & patient with Benjamin. They have made themselves available 24/7 for phone calls. They went out of their way to make our 5+ hours in their office today as comfortable as possible. I believe Benjamin is in the best of hands!
.
Last night I heard the doctor say "diabetes." Not cancer. Not heart disease. Not paralysis. We live in a place & time where diabetes can be controlled and Benjamin can live a relatively normal, active life. Not every parent gets news of a disease that is controllable.
.
THANK YOU!
I can't say enough how much your prayers mean. They have strengthened us the last 24 hours.
7 comments:
Praying for you guys, Debbi :) I know you are torn...and probably heart broken for your little boy, who you can't protect from this...I remember that feeling. But you're right, God IS good all the time. Even through circumstances we wouldn't have picked.
Thank you for your perspective in this. You are in my prayers :)
Oh Deborah, I'm so sorry. (((hugs))) for you and your sweet boy during this time. I know how overwhelming this must be. I have worked with a couple of kids with diabetes and it's such a steep learning curve. you'll get into a routine and life will become "normal" again soon. I used to have a girl in my class w/diabetes and have retained a friendship with her parents. I know that they are very involved in this area with kids w/ diabetes. If you want, I can give them your name. I know they'd be glad to answer any questions you might have-- and sometimes it's just good to have someone there who's done it all before. Your family will be in my prayers! Let me know on FB if you want me to contact my friends for you--
Praying continually. Please let me know if you need anything. I know several people with type 1 (one being my sister) but none that were diagnosed this early. We had a good time with Joseph today and he's welcome back whenever the need arises. Love & Prayers!
Hi Debbi! I will be praying for you all as you face this learning curve and changes in your family life. Last year I watched my cousin's family go through the same diagnosis with their 4 year old daughter (her dad is also diabetic since he was 11). I know there are many emotions and thoughts to process, but as you said GOD is good, and I have every confidence that soon it will become a normal part of life. Wishing I was there to help, but will be praying!
Oh my goodness, I can hardly even believe it. I will pray for you as you make all the new adjustments and get used to everything-- it's so much at once! You're such a good mommy, Debbi!
Debbi,
As I read your words I sit here thinking of God's goodnes in everything. The timing of catching this and not having to go through a trauma, and so much more. When we were going through a hard time in our lives we knew we could rest assured that God was in control. He doesn't say it will be easy but He is in control. We are and will be praying for you and your family. We are here if you need anything. We are blessed so much with your testimony and love for the Lord and your family!!
Nita
I am praying for you guys! I am also praising the Lord that it is diabetes & not something much worse as I lost a nephew at age 4 to brain cancer. You are doing a wonderful job of focusing on God!
Post a Comment