Friday, April 3, 2009

Baby Sign Language

Have any of you tried baby sign language? I am beginning to attempt it with the boys in the hope that within the next few months they will be able to do some communicating with us (other than the screaming they do so beautifully!). I found this DVD at Target and used my $2 coupon to buy it. Now while I don't usually let the boys watch TV, I have made an exception a few times with this one. It has helped me learn the signs I want to teach them. Right now I am primarily doing "more," but I would also like to teach, "please," "thank you," "cup," "book," "play," and "eat."
I have been attempting to teach "more" while feeding them their solids. I stop every few bites and show them the sign for more and help them make it. Then they get another bite.
So those mommies who have done/tried baby signing, any tips? Any signs I should teach I haven't though of? Any ideas about how to teach them?
I hope this will be worth the effort in the end!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

I have taught my little ones signs but I didn't have that DVD. Anna is 15 months and she signs "milk (to nurse), more, please, thank you, eat" and a few others. I think it is helpful and they have all seemed to enjoy it. You will be amazed at how quickly they pick it up. They may not do it exactly right, but you can tell when they "get it." Anna is not talking much so this is very helpful for us. I hope it works well for you. I've enjoyed looking at your blog and I showed it to Linda too.

Tonya Root said...

Keep us posted on how this goes. I didn't do it with Nicole, but I think I'd like to do it with the new baby. I've heard fantastic things about it.

IowaGal5 said...

Debbi- You know that I signed extensively with Trent. He had well over 30 signs in his vocabulary by the time he was 2. (Grant also signed, but not as much as Trent. Probably about 15 words. And Brooke - well, she started talking so early that she never needed it!) Of course, Trent had the speech issue, so it was essential for him. And I had the 2 years of sign at FBBC, so I really enjoyed it. I think signing is FANTASTIC for babies. It really bridges the gap between their "receptive" language (what they understand) and "communicative language" (how much they can say to you). Craig and Carolyn sign with Reagan. She has the same DVD and LOVES it. In fact they have gone to the library to get other DVDs and if it doesn't have sign, Reagan doesn't want to watch it! Signing cuts down on the frustration of not being able to tell someone what you want. Instead of scream, point, grunt, stomp or whine: the baby can sign it to you. Now, once the verbal "language explosion" happens, sign is no longer needed and is naturally dropped. I can't wait to sign with them this summer.
Auntie Dawn